Monday, December 3, 2007

cinnamon rolls anyone?

I've never been able to master making Cinnamon rolls, they always burnt on the bottom, or didn't bake in the middle, or they were too sweet, etc.....



And it's always been frustrating for me because I REALLY love cinnamon rolls. Until about 2 years ago Donovan's mom convinced me to try again with her recipe. And presto, they turned out and were wonderful!

Of course whenever I start something in the kitchen, someone hears me and wants to "help." That is a nice thought dear, but unless you can reach the counter without a stool you really are not "helping." Again for the record just thinking that- not saying it. And if you have toddlers at home, you know what I mean. But I was feeling soft and loving tonight & let the little ones "help".....and before I knew it all 3 were there to "help." More clean up and it took way longer, but ahhhh the memories. I remember my mama taking the time to let me help her in the kitchen, and have good memories of it. Like the time I was helping my mama and leaned over the mixer to eat more cake batter and getting my hair stuck in the beaters that were beating the cake mix. Ahhhh. True story, she had to cut my hair out of the tangled beaters, mixed with chocolate cake mix.

Jack seriously used ALL of my cinnamon on the rolls....He is so quick and I was busy getting something. And if you live in my neighborhood you might have a little more cinnamon than you usually bargain for in a roll. (because these rolls are gifts for the neighbors)



Isabella really can help....she can stick with the project and enjoys being helpful. She is 7 1/2 and I do appreciate a good hand in the kitchen.

Notice Dad in the background frantically cleaning up William, meanwhile saying..."I just gave you a bath, how can you get so dirty?" That is another reason I don't mind letting the kids help, I've got back up tonight.




Ahhh, you can almost smell them can't you??


And now I think they have cooled off enough to try one. Here is the recipe if you want an easy, homemade, & impressive gift this Christmas season.


Thanks mom Gingerich for encouraging me to not give up.



Cinnamon Rolls


3 T. yeast

1/2 cup warm water

1 cup margarine

3 cups milk, scalded

5 eggs, beaten

1 cup sugar

2 tsp. salt

11-12 cups flour


Dissolve yeast in warm water. Put margarine in milk after it is scalded. Set aside until lukewarm. Beat eggs and sugar. Add salt, yeast, milk and flour. (the dough will be quite sticky.) Do not knead. Let rise until doubled. Roll out half the dough, brush with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and brown sugar. Roll up and cut into cinnamon rolls. Repeat with remaining dough. Let rise again. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until done. Cool slightly, frost.





7 comments:

sherri said...

Can I be your neighbor? That last picture was torture! My mouth is watering. Elsie makes the BEST cinnamon rolls I've ever had.

Kim said...

Yummy! We only live a mile away, are we neighbors?

The Nester said...

I bet they were delish! But, I really wanted to tell you that I like the color of your kitchen. Any idea of the name?

Cindy said...

I'd rather just look at your pretty pictures, and pretend I can smell them. Making them has never been my gift. I'd rather just wait for Sarah (you know who you are) to bring me a pan or two!

Unknown said...

Sherri, sure you can be my neighbor!! ....just come over and pick up a pan & you too Kim. I will be happy to share.

And to the nester- the paint color of the kitchen is "bullfrog" from Lowes. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Speaking of paint color...I thought your kitchen was yellow! Was the color change a recent one? Looks good, as do the rolls. - Beth

Anonymous said...

These are the worlds' best cinnamon rolls! I know you made them for everybody, but guess what I ate ALL of them! :o) I'll diet after the 1st of the year!
Love ya and thanks for yummies!