Monday, February 1, 2010

Three Cheese Calzones

Want a simple and yummy supper for tonight? Go and get these ingredients....you won't be sorry you made the special trip to the store if you don't have these things on hand. :)


Three-Cheese Calzones

1 pound refrigerated pizza dough
  • 1 cup fresh ricotta
  • 1 cup grated mozzarella (4 ounces)
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan (1 ounce)
  • 1 bunch spinach, thick stems removed and roughly chopped (5 cups)
  • black pepper
  • 1/4 pound thinly sliced salami
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 cup jarred marinara sauce, warmed

Directions

  1. Heat oven to 400° F. On a lightly floured surface, divide the dough into 4 equal portions and roll and stretch them into 8-inch rounds.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the ricotta, mozzarella, Parmesan, spinach, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
  3. Layer the salami on one side of each round of dough and top with the cheese mixture. Fold the dough over the filling and pinch the edges to seal.
  4. Brush the tops of the calzones with the oil. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake until golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve with the sauce.
I used Prego~my fav spaghetti sauce. I also have done it with the pre-made pizza dough and without. It's excellent either way. And my kids loved them. I actually keep spinach in the freezer that has been cooked and put through the food processor. Just so I can add a little green once in a while. So I just used that. (In case your kids are skiddish about spinach)
Let me know what you think!!!


4 comments:

Bobbie said...

SOUNDS YUMMY....leaving to go get me some ingredients!!! :D

Mary said...

We'll have to try it. I love food like this...it's good for the soul. :)

Cottonista said...

THANK YOU!!! My menu had a blank for tonight. I don't have salami, but maybe I'll try pepperoni???

Julie O. said...

These are A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. Heather:) Thanks for sharing.